Queen cancels virtual engagements as mild Covid persists
The Queen has cancelled her virtual engagements for Tuesday as she is still experiencing mild, cold-like symptoms from Covid, royal officials have said.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said the 95-year-old monarch “will continue with light duties”.
It was confirmed on Sunday that the Queen had tested positive for Covid and was experiencing mild symptoms.
Whether the Queen will carry out any further engagements this week has still to be decided, suggest palace sources.
That includes events such as a weekly phone conversation with the prime minister or any video-screen diplomatic audiences with overseas ambassadors.
So far it is still planned that she will attend an in-person engagement at a diplomatic reception in Windsor Castle next week.
Working from castle
The announcement that the Queen had caught Covid had been accompanied by a reassurance that she was well enough to carry on with light duties, such as working on state papers.
It had been seen as a business-as-usual message to avoid any alarm about her health.
Soon after the announcement on Sunday about catching Covid, the Queen signed off a message of congratulations to the Winter Olympics GB curling teams and on Monday sent a message of condolence to Brazil after fatal flooding.
Buckingham Palace usually has a convention of keeping the Queen’s health a private matter and gives only limited details.
This latest update reveals the Queen is not appearing for any engagements on Tuesday.
Continue Reading : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60477065